Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Persistence Hunting

Today's run: .5 miles (unscheduled). 

I reached the intersection of Walnut Lane and Ridge Avenue just as the 9 bus was taking off. Damn! I thought. At least 20 minutes until the next one. Then I thought, no, don't let this one get away. I started after it, as fast as my dress-shoe-clad feet would allow. It was soon out of sight. But as a good persistence hunter knows, it's all about the long haul. You see, just like a gazelle, a 9 bus can go a lot faster than a human being, but also like a gazelle, it has to stop from time to time. Catch its breath, so to speak. Unlike a reasonably fit middle aged man with delusions of grandeur. So there I was, running down Ridge Avenue, for blocks and blocks, an endeavor so stupid it can only be fun. And then, just as I crossed Manayunk Avenue, there it was, far ahead, trying to blend in with the other traffic, hoping I wouldn't see it. But I had. A renewed burst of speed. Caught it! Just in front of the train station.

Made my day, anyhow. And impressed the hell out of the driver.

1 comment: