Sunday, December 19, 2010

My First 10 Mile Run Without Shoes

Map of the run from Run.com.
My 10 mile run through Philadelphia's Roxborough neighborhood.
A major milepost for me last week -- I completed my first 10 mile run in my huaraches. A typical December afternoon in Philadelphia – overcast, cold (35 degrees), snow flurries. Ice along the banks of the canal in Manayunk.

I seem to be acclimating to the winter weather. My feet were cold throughout the run, but not enough to shut me down. Heeding advice I picked up from barefoot running blogs, I carried a pair of thermal socks (didn’t need them), and chose a route that in the last half provided the opportunity to bail out and grab a bus if I ran into problems.

Here’s a link to my route on Run.com, if you happen to live in the Philadelphia area. Please note that there is a significant climb about midway.

2 comments:

  1. Great milestone! I've done 2 10 milers barefoot so far and I need to do a few more after the holidays to get used to the distance.
    I always run alone, in south Jersey, but at some point I would like to meet you and other barefoot runners in the Philly area for a group run...or just for some beers and chat.
    Congratulations again!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great job! I've wondered about Huaraches. You'll have to let me know how they work in deeper snow conditions. I think you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete